CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
Family is not an important thing, it's everything.
-Michael J Fox

March 19, 2011

Fixing "mistakes"

Being a parent can be down right hard.  It can be difficult keeping your cool when your child is going nutso.  But this one incident we did.....

Rewind:  I've been reading "Parenting with Love & Logic".  A few people had recommended it to me and I've got to say, I like it so far.  Some of their "tactics" I think YA RIGHT!  But for the most part, I like it. 

Well, one night we were all sitting at the table having dinner and Rett was in one of his moods.  He was ticked off at the world.  I had read a few days before that a section on how to deal with temper tantrums.  It said to use a soft voice (ha ha) and calmly give the child (that is now going to time out) a choice.  They can either walk to their room or you can carry them.  Rett chose to walk.  Well....there's a few more steps you do once the child goes in the room.  A little while later, we were now on the last step.  It says "even if your child is throwing things and banging things around NOT to go in their room.  Wait until they've calmed down"....okay....whatever you say.  Well, it literally sounded like a war was going on in that room....and then it got quiet, which always means trouble at our house.  I opened his door and saw hundreds....yes hundreds of dents in his wall.  I just turned around and shut the door.  Told Bry he didn't want to go in there, but he did anyway.  Bry handled it really well.  He asked Rett what he had made the dents with and then took it away.  He told Rett that he was going to have to fix what he had done.  Garrett just looked at him and said "I don't know how".  Bry told him he would show him, but he would have to do it.

A few nights later, Bry took him to the store to get the stuff and came home and taught Rett a good lesson.  Needless to say, he hasn't made a dent since....




4 comments:

Em

Color me impressed.

Heidi

Not quite sure why this post made me cry like a baby. That's freakin' adorable. You two are great parents... it's amazing to see my big brother as a daddy... So cute that you recorded this!

Mom

What great parents you are!! Its always hard to teach them a lesson but I think you chose correctly in the way you handled this one!! He will always remember this!! These pictures are so priceless, only problem is... I know Garrett loves working with his Dad!! Pray for no more dents!! ;)

Pickett

Oh I love this story.. You two are such good parents!