CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
Family is not an important thing, it's everything.
-Michael J Fox

September 8, 2010

A post for myself...

I was looking through all of my old posts this morning and found a couple that I never published for reasons I really don't remember.  Maybe I didn't feel it was complete - and basically it's a little jumbled and all over the place.  I typed this one up I think in March.  I guess I needed a reminder today of some of those lessons I've learned.....

...
I have a hard time expressing myself with words. I love listening to people who can express their feelings with elegant words and quotes. My sister-in-law Heidi wrote a whole post with words expressing who she is. I sit down to do that and my mind.....is blank.

A few years ago, Bry and I started a "journal" for each of our kids. They each have their own, and in them we each write our own letters to the kids - things we want to teach them, how their personalities are at this time, what we learn from them, lessons we've learned from life... I read through Bry's letters to them and they are beautiful. I remember shortly after Brynlee was born, we were sitting in sacrament meeting and Bry picked up a pen and wrote a poem to Brynlee. One that only a father could write to his daughter.....and I cried.

I've had a few experiences lately and have learned some valuable lessons from. I've wanted to write about those lessons and experiences, but just don't feel I have the words to express myself or our experiences.  I just don't feel I have the words, but I believe we can learn from all of life's experiences and build ourselves upon them.

A good friend sent me this quote last week by Norman Vincent Peale. “Believe you can, and you can. Belief is one of the most powerful of all problem dissolvers. When you believe that a difficulty can be overcome, you are more than halfway to victory over it already.”
...

It's funny, because I really needed to hear that quote this week.  I've ran into a lot of old friends lately that have heard about the "experiences" we've been going through this summer.  And a few have wanted an "update" on what's going on.  I still have a hard time saying the word because a lump seems to form in my throat for some unknown reason. 

Skin Cancer.  There I said it.

I really do feel great.  My knee bothers me often because the scar is so tender, but I feel fine.  On the outside.  But emotionally, it honestly has taken it's toll.  I really didn't think it would.  But as I get closer to my 2nd surgery, a lot of the scary feelings come rushing back.  I met with one of my doctors a week and half ago and he ended up taking 2 more moles that looked "suspicious".  And we talked a lot.  I know he wasn't trying to scare me, but wanted me to know of what I'll be dealing with.  But, I left feeling discouraged and sad.  I drove over to Bry's work cause I just needed him to tell me once again (for the billionth time...) that everything is going to be okay.

My body looks like a war zone.  I literally have scars on almost every limb of my body.  I don't think I'm vain in any way, but it's hard to look in the mirror and see evidence of what's going on right now.  But to be optimistic.....they're signs of what I've survived.

I'm really blessed to have some great people around me that are genuinely concerned and listen when I need to talk and give me support and inspiration.  I really do feel better after talking to them.

But I've also had people act like "you're just fine.  I don't understand why you're so upset - it's just skin cancer which is pretty treatable and lots of people survive".  Well, sheesh, I'm not saying I'm dying at all.  I'm just scared and needed to talk to someone. :)

But I'm happy.  I love my family and I love being here with them.

And for today....This guy is someone that makes me very happy. 
(I can't post something without a picture)
Sorry for the downer post, but sometimes you just have to let it off your chest and move on.

9 comments:

Rod
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rod

Over the last few years I’ve learned people generally are trying to offer support and encouragement through their words; they have good intentions. You won’t find a single person who knows exactly what you are going through because each experience is different for every individual. But you will find much support and strength from those around you- even the silent ones.
Lastly.. here is a quote you posted on my page a few months back. Thought you’d like it back. 

Jeffrey R Holland
“..When what has to be has been and when what lessons to be learned have been learned, it will be for us as it was for the Prophet Joseph. Just at the time he felt most alone and distant from heaven’s ear was the very time he received the wonderful ministration of the Spirit and wonderful, glorious answers that came from his Father in Heaven. Into this dismal dungeon and this depressing time, the voice of God came, saying:

My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment;

And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes.”

Love You!

Simonsen Family

Thanks for the update- It's one of those things you are always thinking about and just don't know how to ask about it. I ask grandma all the time if there is anything new or new news and how you are doing... Love you girl and I am thinking about you all the time ♥

Lots of Love,
Becki

Mom

Just want you to know I love you and I support you!! Hard times for everyone but remember... What grandpa says too... "We are all in this TOGETHER!" I truely believe we need to show and feel of others love and concerns. You have a strong support system and that needs to mean alot! FAMILY is everything!! I love Stefanie's quote! Its so true!! Love ya all tons!!!

The Hunts

I love Steph's comment. I want to add that I have learned so much from you and your strength and faith through these trials has been an inspiration to everyone around you...especially me. Of course it's a downer and you need people to just let you cry it out. You're human!! For cryin out loud if were COMPLETELY optimistic you wouldn't be normal. I want you to know that regardless of what you think, you do have a wonderful way with words. I love your posts and I love THIS post. Your words are inspiring, touching, uplifting and they open up a door to your soul that I rarely get to see in person. Don't be so hard on yourself, you're amazing. Love you!

Pickett

Oh Amb... I know this may sound kind of funny but I do kind of understand where you are coming from. When I was sick with my head I was terrified. And you know what you have every right to be worried, concerned, stressed, angry you name it you have every right to those emotions because they are perfectly normal... Just know that when all is said and done you will be stronger as a person as a mom and a wife... You are one strong chickadee... I wish I could have chatted with you more are my dad's funeral I would love to do lunch or something and catch up... I am here for you...(But I think you know that)... Love you tons! ~Jamie

Mandee

Sorry I'm one of those people that don't deal with a emotion very well. That is the last thing I want to do is cry. I hate to do it and I don't like to do it. But you know that I will always be there for you.

Kyle N Aimee

Amb,

You are an amazing person! I look up to you. You are a great mother and wife. We are here for you!

Stoker Crew

You are strong. Hope all continues to go well. It is a difficult topic to bring up to ask how one is haning in during a trial such as this. I know we haven't stayed in contact much. One thing to remember is God does not try us with something that we cannot already withstand. Remember to be positive and count your blessings even if it a small one doesn't have to be many.

By the way your pictures are goregous.