Well, as Bry would call this story - "The long version"...
It all started on Wednesday, September 21st. I woke up that morning and Bry said "you realize that if you have Brody tomorrow all of us boys will have our birthday on the 22nd?!" I looked at him and said "Oh great! Now I feel pressure to have him tomorrow!!" Ha Ha!
I had a Dr's appointment that afternoon, so Bry took off early to go with me. We got there and I was dilated to a 4 on the sides and a 2 on the bottom. Who's ever heard of that?! My Doc is the best and asked if I wanted my membranes stripped? Yes please! I was so anxious to meet our little guy.
After the appointment, Bry and I went to the mall for Greek - one of our favs! And then walked the mall a little. I was feeling pressure and having a few contractions. We went home and planted some flowers and Bry cooked us dinner. We sat down to eat at 7 (true - we are not early eaters) and I had some pretty good contractions. After dinner was cleaned up and kids in bed, my contractions started getting stronger and were about 5 minutes apart. I told Bry that I was just going to walk outside in front of the house for a while to see if they stayed consistent. He came out with me and we walked up and down the sidewalk in front of our house. They stayed at 5 minutes apart and some were even 3 minutes apart. Bry text Mandee and gave her a heads up that we might be going to the hospital. After walking for about 45 minutes to an hour we both decided that we better go. Mandee came over and helped Bry carry the kids over to her house and we were off.
Now, here's the kicker... 5 minutes after we left for the hospital... My contractions stopped!! I was a tad bit frustrated and a little bummed. But I was still having a contraction here and there so we decided to keep going. We pulled up to the hospital and I told him that I would be a little nicer this time and he could go ahead and park the car and I would walk. (With Garrett - I was in full blown labor and he wanted to park and then go get a wheelchair for me. I got a little...."loud" and said heck no - you're dropping me off at the emergency doors!!) This time I actually wanted to walk all the way to labor and delivery, but they wouldn't let me. We get up to labor and delivery and the lady looks at us and says "What are you here for?" Bry and I about started laughing. Bry said "Um, to have a baby". It was funny.
So, here I am - all ready to rock & roll (hopefully - I was thinking!)
They get me all hooked up to monitors and checked me. I was now to a 4 all the way around. But she said they like to have you a little farther to keep you at the hospital, but she wanted to call my Dr to see what she wanted to do. She came back and said that they were going to keep me. I tested positive for "Strep B" and needed to be on antibiotics for at least 4 hours before the baby came - otherwise he could get the infection and get really sick. Karen ( my doc) told the nurse that I would go fast so they wouldn't let me get up and walk around or anything. So, no it was time to start an IV. Apparently, I have "tough skin" and the nurse struggled to get the needle through my skin. I HATE needles!!! She started moving that needle around and I started with the cold sweats and thought I was going to pass out. And then I guess my vein blew. So, another nurse came in and finally got one in on the other arm. I'll admit it - I can do labor, but not an IV! Poor Bry - I'm sure I embarrass the crap out of him. Especially when I kept telling him to blow on my face and he said "I am - you're going to make me pass out!"
They started the antibiotics at midnight and said to get some rest. Bry all of a sudden got sick - every time he stood up he felt dizzy and sick. Poor guy. So, I told him to try and get some sleep and I would too. Until my contractions were 3 minutes apart....so I just clutched the bed and watched my sweet husband try to sleep. I had mixed feelings about having this baby. This was my last pregnancy - the last time that I would feel baby kick inside me. The last time I would have a basketball belly with a growing baby inside. I felt a little sad, but completely excited and anxious, too. This little baby was a miracle to me and I was ready to meet him.
After a couple of hours, the nurse came in and wanted to know if I wanted an epidural yet. I didn't. I really wanted to see how far I could go, but I was also exhausted. I hadn't slept the night before because of a night full of contractions so it had been over 24 hours since I had slept at all. Bry talked me in to getting the epidural so that I could get some rest. After the epidural was in they checked me and I was at a 6...and then my water broke. Within 10 minutes I was dilated to an 8. By 4:45am I was fully dilated and had finished my 4 hours of antibiotics. They called the Doc and I started pushing at like 5:20am and at 5:25am (on the 22nd!!) our little Brody Paul Larsen was born weighing 7lbs 4oz and 20.5 inches long - our tallest baby!
He's perfect and beautiful and cuddly and amazing.... We are thoroughly enjoying him!


9 comments:
Oh Amber! These are SO SWEET! I love the pictures. He is absolutely beautiful. Congrats! I hope you're not too tired :)
Oh my...what a beautiful baby boy! You are amazing! Congrats on your beautiful family! Miss You!
Those pictures are precious!!! I am so happy!!! He is absolutely darling, what a stud!!! Only one request... keep making more grandkids for me you do such an amazing job!! Congrats on your new amazing family! He sure is a great addition!!! Love ya
he's perfect!!!!!! You have babies with so much hair...I'm totally jealous!! haha.. Love the update and pictures too.. Great job!!!!
Three boys on the 22nd pretty cool!
Oh, this just made be cry. I'm so happy for you guys! He is beautiful and amazing. Thank you for letting us visit last night. When driving home from your house, I saw the full moon (knowing that more babies are born on full moon nights) and thought, I can't wait for three more miracles just like Brody! And today, Amy had her twins and my brother had his first baby, a boy! Babies are wonderful! We love you guys! Thanks for adding to our joy!
What an adventure? My adventure will be getting here before I even realize. This baby is being a little stubborn like Dakota. Monday I get to find out, holy crap I'm getting nervous/excited. Don't know what yet. Congrats again! Brody is so handsome....
Oh Amb I absolutely loved reading Brody’s birth story, he is such a handsome little man… After all you do make beautiful babies.
Love it!
Congratulations!! I've been waiting for this post! Thanks for letting me "stalk" you!
Karen Smith
(Jamie's sis-in-law)
He's beautiful. And these pictures are gorgeous. What a treasure they will be always. I'm so happy for you all!
Post a Comment