CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
Family is not an important thing, it's everything.
-Michael J Fox

November 14, 2011

Being Thankful: Day 14

I am thankful for sweet reminders.  Today pretty much sucked.  Pardon the unkind word, but it did.  Some personal things happened and I let them ruin my day.  I was angry, hurt, sad.... and I let my emotions take control.

So last night I went in the bathroom, shut the door, started a bubble bath and read a book.  I needed to be uplifted.  Bry's mom and dad gave me a book called "The Remarkable Soul of a Woman" by Dieter F. Uchtdorf - one of my favorite Apostles - for Mother's Day last year and I have wanted to read it, but just hadn't found the time.  Well, I made time last night. 

I started to read "I would like to address those who have ever felt inadequate, discouraged, or weary..."  Holy crap!  I swear he's talking to me!  Ha ha ha!  "We know that sometimes it can be difficult to keep our heads above water.  In face, in our world of change, challenges, and checklists, sometimes it can seem nearly impossible to avoid feeling overwhelmed by emotions of suffering and sorrow.

I am not suggesting that we can simply flip a switch and stop the negative feelings that distress us.... I recognize that in all of our lives there are real concerns.  I know there are hearts that harbor deep sorrows.  Others wrestle with fears that trouble the soul....."

He then shares ways that can help us find a path to peace, hope, and joy.  Three things I long for lately.  He says that "though we cannot understand the meaning of all things, we do know that God loves us".  He talked about being compassionate..... something that I'm afraid I have lacked in lately and have not been very compassionate towards certain people.  I have only thought of myself and what "I" am going through.  There is one thing that he quotes President Hinckley telling a woman who had recently lost her husband:  "Work will cure your grief.  Serve others."

And then I thought of something I remember Bry saying when we were engaged or newly married.....I know he heard it from an Apostle, I just can't remember which one.  "Forget yourself and get to work."

I am thankful for the little reminder I had tonight that I am worth more than I think.  That my Father loves me, even though I can "fly off the handle" and say things I don't mean.  I am thankful for the reminder that "Happiness is what God intends for us".

0 comments: